Makes 24–28 rolls
- To rehydrate the vermicelli noodles, soak in boiling water for 3–4 minutes; drain and refresh under running cold water. When cool, shake off any excess water and leave to one side.
- To make the dipping sauce, mix together the sugar, rice vinegar, fish sauce, chillies and garlic. Mix well, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix, taste and adjust as necessary, then set aside.
- To make the rolls, roughly chop the noodles in a bowl. Mix in the prawns, lettuce, spring onion, carrot, coriander, basil and mint. Add the lime juice along with 2 tablespoons of the dipping sauce and mix together. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding a little more sauce if needed.
- Dip a rice paper in a bowl of hot water for about 20 seconds until softened and pliable. Splash a board with a little water before placing a rice paper on it (this will stop it from sticking), then put a spoonful of mixture into the centre of the rice paper and fold the sides over the filling. Roll up tightly into a spring roll shape and repeat with the remaining mixture and rice papers.
- Serve the rolls with the dipping sauce on the side.